Search engine optimization (SEO) helps to rank the webpages on best pages of SERP (Search engine result page) such that its visibility among the public is increased for organic search. The aim is to bring the web pages on top pages during organic (non-paid) search. The two main practices that are adopted for SEO are white-hat and black-hat technique.
Some of the best practices and tips for SEO are discussed below.
1. Content: Your content should be good, valid, entertaining, as well as helpful for the reader. Updating the content on a regular basis may help you rank well in the SERP. The content has top priority while Google algorithm is applied. Quality contents can attract repeat traffic which can bring recognition to the site. Content should be written for the human readers and not for the search engines to attract quality traffic to the site. The visitor should be motivated to refer the content to others on social media to attract more traffic.
2. Regular content: Writing regularly for the site such as blog posting can bring in good organic traffic. If regular posts are not placed on the site then the search engine may consider your site as irrelevant and rank you lower.
3. Content length: From reader’s view point, short content is attractive to read. Contents with minimum of 300 words to maximum of 1000 words can run the show effectively. One should be comfortable writing minimum of 300 words. If it is not possible, then re-think whether the content subject needs more research.
4. Meaningful headlines: Concentrating on keywords can be useful while writing headlines for the content. Keywords can be used at the beginning of the headline.
5. Permalinks: These are permanent url links to individual blog post. A permalink is automatically created when a headline is created under ‘add new post’ option. These permalinks can be edited at anytime. The headlines are directly taken as permalink. We can edit the permalink while important keyword can be inserted in the permalink. In the permalinks, the stop word such as ‘a’, ‘and’,’ the’ etc can be removed. Also the numbers in the headline could be removed as they are considered to be valueless by search engines
6. Excerpt: These are nothing but meta description which appear below the url in the SERP pages. Though it is created automatically, one is advised to write it manually. It can be effective with 140-150 characters. Keywords can be included in the Excerpt. The meta description should be crisp and interesting for the user when they read which may motivate the user to click-through and visit the page.
7. Images: The images can be handled by the site efficiently by including title, alt tag, and description. Keywords may be introduced in tags.
8. Relevant category: The contents link should be spotted by the relevant category. The site visitors can quickly find what they want by searching the site categorically. Tags can be associated with the category but care should be taken not to over stuff the tag which may lead to penalize by search engines.
9. Thumbnails: WordPress provides option to manage thumbnails without cropping dimension. The media option below setting option provides this option
10. Google Analytics
Google analytics is free which allows to track the site activities. It is also useful to track the customers with user name. Google analytics provides many useful data and allows to manage locating 404 pages, studies how visitor browses the site, how much traffic is received from search engine etc.
The WordPress site can be enhanced with best practices of SEO to rank the page in search engine result page during search. The site features like images and content can be enhanced and managed properly via SEO practice. The Google analytics for WordPress plugin, allow to add new functionalities and track the user using the user name. The user experience can be improved by establishing proper SEO practice for the WordPress.