Cross platform mobile application development is one of the most preferred technology for this rapidly developing mobile industry where there is que of platforms like Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows etc. Since developing apps for individual platform may be costly, the cross platform technology support the development of single app that is functional across multiple platforms. It saves the time and money. There are many cross platform technology such as PhoneGap, Titanium etc.
Some of the Pros and Cons of the cross platform mobile application development are discussed below:
1. Reusable code: Instead of writing multiple code for multiple platform, the cross platform allows to build a code once and use it across multiple platform. This saves time and investment.
2. Plugins: The framework such as Appcelerator and PhoneGap support variety of plugins and modules which can easily plug with other services and tools.
3. Dynamic frameworks: The web developers will find it easier to use the dynamic frameworks or scripting languages. Cross platform support HTML5 and CSS3 which helps to manage native functions.
4. Less development cost: Since single code is applicable across multiple platform, it saves lots of development cost.
5. Cloud services: Apart from supporting lots of plugins and modules, the frameworks also allow to integrate with cloud service quite easily with option to access from anywhere at anytime
6. Easy deployment: It is easier to deploy and compile apps using cross platform mobile app development. Updates can be done immediately across all devices and platform. It is flexible to work with one team with single multi-platform app rather than working with multiple platforms with several teams
7. Impressive design: The overall design and look of the app can be maintained with single coding. Designing for different apps across different level of teams may be hard to synchronize. Therefore, cross platform can be a wise choice to create impressive designs.
1. Platform limitation: Unique functionalities and tools of the native platforms cannot be leveraged by cross platform. Each platform has its own unique style which cannot be defined by the cross platform.
2. Update Framework: Each time when Google, Apple, or Microsoft adds any new feature, the framework has to be updated which is a disadvantage.
3. Development tools: Most of the frameworks support only their native development tools and suites. PhoneGap use native IDE for each platform such as Eclipse for Android, Xcode for iOS, Visual basic for Windows phone etc which is difficult to manage.
4. Slow processing: The cross platform app does not run as fast as native app. The compilation is slower than using native tools
5. Limited graphics/3D support: The cross platform supports limited graphics and 3D features
7. User experience: The user experience is different for each platform like Android and iPhone. Therefore it becomes difficult for the cross platform app to cope up with user experience across multiple platforms.
8. Integration: It is a huge task to integrate the app with preferences, local settings, and notification apps. Third party cloud service may be required for diverse storage option.
Developing and designing an app for iPhone is different from Android. The user interface and user experience should be considered for the app which are unique for each platform. It is preferable to choose cross platform o develop apps with less graphics with impressive design. The development is done at a faster pace with less development cost. Cross platform development is highly feasible apart from the few limitations posed by the technology such as slow processing and limited graphics and 3D support. Overall impression is that cross platform can be cost effective to build common app for multiple platform like Android, iPhone etc.